Friday, August 15, 2008

So many charities...which one to pick?

The whole premise of this blog begs the question: Exactly how am I going to choose which charities to post? Short answer: I want to find genuine charities that can really use the money to make positive changes in the world. I do not want to throw money at something because it's, well, shiny. A Five Dollar Hero is smarter than that.

So for starters, each charity featured here will be a real 501(c)(3)-registered charity, as recognized by the IRS. (Save your receipts!) Furthermore, I'm going to check each charity against sources like the American Institute of Philanthropy, Charity Navigator and the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance to make sure they're on the up-and-up.

Next, I'm going to choose organizations that I feel serve a broad population in life-changing ways, the ones tackling the big issues like poverty, health, homelessness, the environment and human rights, for example. Ideally, this is stuff that every Five Dollar Hero can get behind.

And I'll have a few caveats, too. I'm not going to post items on faith-based charities or religious groups. Religious organizations do immense good around the world, no doubt. But I'm trying to build something that people of all backgrounds can contribute to, and I don't want to alienate anybody. The same goes for political groups, whether they're tied to a party or just particularly slanted one way or the other.

There are certainly some issues which are critically important and need support, but also involve intense differences in how to help. Teen pregnancy and the whole abortion vs. adoption argument springs to mind. In cases like those, I'll likely provide two or more donation options, so that folks feel they can put their money to work in good conscience.

Despite all that, I'll might choose an organization you don't agree with. If that's the case, I hope you'll take your five bucks and give it to someone else, then come back the following week and see if I've come to my senses. And if you have ideas on organizations that could use the Five Dollar Heroes treatment, drop me an e-mail and tell me all about it.

Oh, the guy in blue? He's The Tick. It might have been a stretch, but I'm happy I got him in here.

No comments: